Friday, July 30, 2010

The Snake in the Chicken House


"Mom, Mom! You've GOT to come outside NOW!"

Obviously, Miriam does not realize that I am on the phone with my dear friend, Lisa -- having my weekly mental health chat. I give Miriam the "raised eyebrow" and continue talking.

Insistently, she continues, "Mom, there is a HUGE snake in the chicken house, and Daddy has caught it, and it's big and red, and it is SPITTING EGGS OUT AT DAD!!!!!"

This description certainly catches my attention...and the attention of everyone else in the house. So the troops all head out to see what's happening. Seizing the opportunity for a little peace and quiet, I remain in the house and continue talking on the phone, all the while giving Lisa the play by play commentary on the snake capture and release.

Now I don't know if my dear Syd is unique, but he has a weird fascination with snakes which he has passed on to our children. I, on the other hand, prefer to stay as far away from snakes as possible. From the safety of my living room, I watch as they gather up the snake catching kit -- yes, we have a kit for this pastime which consists of Syd's custom made capture pole and a canvas bag. With a few mishaps, the snake is captured. Evidently, he is VERY stinky.



The snake hunter and his followers parade down to the creek. After some poking and prodding, the snake emerges from the bag and slithers up the tree.



The bystanders calmly observe the really, really long snake.



Having accomplished their mission, my young naturalists traipse back to the house. Josiah and Gideon detour at the water trough to wash the stinky stuff from their hands.



Josiah is barely in the door when he announces,"That snake was barfing eggs all over the place. I've never seen a snake barf. I want a pet snake, Mom."

A 6-foot long, egg-eating, barfing snake for a pet?

What do you think my answer is?

No comments:

Post a Comment