Sunday, August 29, 2010

Checking In

I had every intention of posting to this blog every Tuesday and Thursday, but then life happened. The past few weeks have been a whirlwind of getting Rachel and Nathan off to college and adjusting to the changes that brings to our family. I cannot even begin to say how much we miss both of them. I find myself turning around to say something to one of them, and then having to remind myself that they are 300 miles away from home, living in their dorms, making new friends, going to classes, and venturing forth in another stage of life.
Rachel and Nathan, the week before they left for HSU
Of all the tasks of parenting, this has been the most difficult. I am NOT good at pushing chicks out of the nest. Other parents with more years under their proverbial parenting belts assure me that this will get easier with time, but I just don't see that happening. Even though this is the third year for Rachel to head off to HSU, still there is a gaping hole in our family when everyone isn't here, and it only gets filled when they are back home. And while I must admit that there are certain times when I would like to take a little vacation from certain family members, on the whole, I am most at peace when I have all my chicks gathered together under one roof.
Rachel, one of the HSU Six White Horse Riders

I have spent the weeks since they left grieving and then throwing myself into the flurry of preparations for the upcoming year of home educating the six children still at home. I have been keeping myself busy -- very busy, so I can avoid thinking about how much I miss Rachel and Nathan. I find myself praying -- a lot:
  • Lord, give them good roommates.
  • Lord, teach them to balance their work, school, and social lives. 
  • Lord, let them remain true to their convictions and the things we have taught them. 
  • Lord, watch over them and keep them safe. 
  • Lord, guard their hearts and minds.
  • Lord, lead them to choose their friends wisely.
  • Lord, let them see the importance of maintaining a close relationship with You.
  • Lord, never let them forget how much we love them.
  • Lord, don't let them ever think they could survive without their Mama!
Nathan & I having fun at the Tyler Zoo gift shop

I admit it. My heart is breaking, but God is faithful to comfort me. I am thankful for e-mail and texting and cell phones and Facebook. I am able to keep in touch with them so much better than my parents were able to stay in touch with me. And I have even used my lovely penmanship to write them letters -- you know, with envelopes and stamps!

Soon we will settle into a new routine. It will include church, school, basketball practices, and 4-H activities, as well as all of the work involved with just living life. I will get to the point where opening empty dresser drawers or seeing an empty seat at the table won't bring me to tears. And, hopefully, I will get into the discipline of blogging twice a week...hopefully.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post. I didn't know you had a blog! I'm sorry you are missing your big kids right now :( hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( You are making me cry... :( I think you are the most amazing mother ever and I think God has more than answered your last prayer listed in my case... ;) I LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, pass the Kleenex this way too!!! WAH!!!!

    We miss you too Rachel and Nathan!!! Your pew looks much too roomy.

    Love,
    Mrs. Moore

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree whole heartedly with Rachel...you are an amazing mama! Rest assured, your children will always know that their is great comfort in the arms of mother! Love you and your blogging is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete