Thursday, April 12, 2012

Coming Up For Air

That foster care assignment I wrote about in September -- it took us for the ride of our lives! It was exciting, fulfilling, challenging, frustrating, exhausting, demanding, faith-building and S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G. It took every bit of my time, and while I should be apologizing for not posting during the past 6 months, I absolutely did not have a spare minute.

We had 4 foster children -- a group of three siblings, ages 2, 3, and 5 and a 9-month old baby who joined our family 9 days after the three little guys arrived. You might ask, "What were they thinking?" That would be a reasonable question, and one which I asked myself several times. In January, the baby went to an adoptive home, and the other three children went home to their biological mom in March. 

We are now back our core household of eight. Rachel and Nathan are still at HSU, although Rachel graduates in May, and is currently looking for a job utilizing her degree in Math with a Biology minor. (Any job leads would be welcome!)  Nate is selling boots and all that other cowboy stuff at Cavenders in Abilene, while pursuing a degree in Criminal Justice. David and Miriam are 17 -- how did that happen? David has his license and a part-time job. Josiah turns 14 next week, and Leah will be 16 in June. I really only have two little guys left - Gideon, 10, and Essie, 9 - and they are growing up way too fast.

We are taking a break from foster care at least until June. We have Rachel's graduation, and then she and I will be taking a trip to Nebraska at the end of May. As always, life is full, and I never seem to accomplish all the things I hope to. The journey continues -- and hopefully it includes more blog posts along the way...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update, Mrs. Newman!

    We miss you guys and hope we get to see all of you sometime soon! :)

    ReplyDelete